The MPC Plugin allows users to transmit MIDI data from the plugin to a software instrument track in their DAW. For most DAW's that support VST, AU and RTAS this is relatively simple to set up. However, Reason, which does not support those plugin formats needs additional workarounds to make this kind of routing capable to control it's instruments. Sometimes it's realistic to have Reason slaved in Rewire to a DAW, that can then transmit MIDI to various instruments. Sometimes this is not practical because you don't have another DAW to Rewire. This guide will help you setup the Standalone MPC Software to transmit MIDI to Reason's instruments.
- Setup additional MIDI ports in the IAC bus monitor
- Setup additional MIDI ports in the MPC Software
- Setup Reason to receive MIDI data from the MPC's MIDI Mapping ports
- Further Product Support
- Open Audio MIDI Setup Application. This application is bundled with the installation of OSX, and can be found in the HD/Applications/Utilities folder.
- Open the MIDI Window by selecting Window, Show MIDI Window
- Double Click the object labeled IAC Driver
- In the IAC Driver Properties, select the check-box labeled Device is online
- In the lower left you will see a box listing titled ports. Add 4 additional ports by selecting the + button 4 times.
- Close the Audio MIDI Setup windows
- Open the MPC Software
- Open Preferences
- Select the MIDI Ports added to the IAC Driver in the section titled MIDI Mapping
- Add 4 MIDI tracks to a Sequence. Each track should have 1 of the MIDI Mapping ports selected.
- Keep the MPC Software open
- Open Reason with a blank
- Go to Preferences
- Select Advanced
- Under External Control add the MIDI ports from the IAC driver, and MPC MIDI Mapping ports to individual Bus ports.
- Close Preferences
- Add 2 instruments to your song. I suggest Thor and SubTractor
- Expand the Hardware Interface and select Advanced MIDI
- You will notice that Bus Select sections A - D now show the ports that you have selected in Reason's Preferences
- Based on the MIDI Channels selected on Tracks in the MPC Software select Reason's devices
- Play your MPC's pads or Sequences and they will now trigger instruments in Reason
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Akai Pro product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Akai Pro technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.