The Alesis V Mini is a powerful, intuitive, and portable MIDI controller that lets you take full command of your music software. This article walks through on how to setup the Alesis V Mini with MPC Software/ MPC Essentials.
- MPC Software/ MPC Essentials Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the MPC Essentials Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the V Mini to your computer using a USB cable.
Note: V Mini is class-compliant which means that it will work with any modern Mac or PC without the need to download any software or drivers.
- Open MPC Software/Essentials
- Open the Preferences window in MPC Software/MPC Essentials. In the Audio tab, choose your Audio Device Type and Device, which is dependent upon your audio interface.
Select MPC > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Edit > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Choose the MIDI tab and add a check to the box next to VMini in the Active Midi Inputs box as shown in the image below.
- Select OK. Now your V mini is ready to be use with the software.
- Go to your Alesis account, login and select My Products.
- Click on the appropriate link to download the Xpand!2 software for Mac or Windows (PC).
- Once you have download the file, extract the Xpand!2 Setup folder and run the Xpand!2 Setup.exe (Windows) or Xpand!2.pkg (Mac.) If you do not know how to extract a file on your Windows computer, click here to learn.
Before scanning the plugins into MPC Software/ MPC Essentials, make sure that they are fully authorized and ready to go. The plugins will install a software called the iLok License Manager that will help keep track of your plugins and allow you to move them later on if necessary. Here's a quick and easy way to Authorize your plugins by using the ilok License Manager.
- Open the iLok License Manager. You can find this in your Applications folder on your Mac and under All Programs on Windows.
- In the top left corner, click on Sign-in to sign into your account. If you do not already have one, click on Sign-in and the select Create New Account in the window that appears to create your new account.
- Once you have signed in, click on Licenses > Redeem Activation Code
- In the window that appears, enter the authorization code for Xpand!2. You will find your authorization codes on your Alesis account page, directly above the download links for the plugins. You can copy and paste this if you like. Click, Next once the code has been entered completely.
- In the following window, choose the location where you would like iLok to store your license. For most users, we recommend to store this directly onto your computer. To do so, select the icon that represents your Mac or PC, and click Activate.
- The iLok software will scan the license and will ask you to confirm one last time. Click OK and your license should be fully activated to your computer. Now you will be ready to scan them into MPC Software/MPC Essentials.
Note for Windows users only: If you have difficulty locating a plugin in your VST folder within the MPC Essentials software, be sure the MPC Essentials program is reading plugins from the correct location where your plugin is installed. To do this:
- Open the Preferences menu.
Select MPC > Preferences...
or use the keyboard shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Edit > Preferences...
or use the keyboard shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Choose the Plugins tab.
- Add a check to the box at the beginning of one of the rows under the heading VST Folders, then click on the browse box at the end of that row to browse to your plugin installation location.
- Click on the drop-down menu to browse and then select the correct location of your plugin. Press Open.
AIR Xpand!2 Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
- Click on Scan New and allow the MPC Software/MPC Essentials software to scan all plugins in the selected location and then press OK.
- At the bottom-center of the MPC Software/ MPC Essentials just next to the pads, is a column of options titled SEQUENCE. Within that column, click on the drop-down menu next to TYPE and change it to Plugin.
- A number of alternate options become available just below once Plugin is chosen. Click on the menu bar next to PLUGIN.
- In the window that opens, click on the + (plus) button next to VST to view your available VST plugins. Locate Xpand!2 and click on it to highlight it. Choose Select to load Xpand!2 into the MPC Software/MPC Essentials software.
You will notice that Xpand!2 populates to the menu bars.
- To view the Xpand!2 virtual instrument interface, click on the button labelled located next to the PLUGIN row.
Note: If you want to view the Midi Keyboard, Select Tools and click on Show MIDI Keyboard.
Enjoy using your V Mini with MPC Software/MPC Essentials!
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.