With the Alesis VX49 USB/MIDI controller keyboard, you can load up your favorite VST software synthesizers, samplers and drum machines as if you were working on a standalone keyboard workstation. The included VIP software scans your instrument plug-ins, indexes all of their presets, maps out the controls, and allows you to switch sounds and tweak parameters on the fly, without ever touching your mouse. This article walks through how to setup the Alesis VX49 with Pro Tools.
- VX49 Hardware Setup
- Pro Tools Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the Pro Tools Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the VX49 to your computer using a USB cable
Note: VX49 does have driver software in order for the midi controller work with the VIP software. please make sure the driver is installed.
On the VX49 itself, on page 3 of the GLOBAL menu (SHIFT + BROWSER), set the Clock Source setting to External. This will set the VX49 to wait for Pro Tools MIDI Clock signal and synchronize the timing of the arpeggiator/NoteRepeat.
While in the GLOBAL menu, go to page 1 and change the Transport Format to MCC. This will help for the next section about MIDI mappnig controls.
Save the Changes in page 4 of the GLOBAL menu. Now your VX49 is ready to control Pro Tools.
- Launch Pro Tools.
- Choose Setup > Peripherals.
In the window that opens, click on the Machine Control tab.
- Choose Enable within the MIDI Machine Control Remote (Slave) box, and ensure that the ID is set to 127.
- In the Midi Controllers tab, in Row#1, adjust the settings as follows:
Mac and Windows :
Type to M-Audio Keyboard
Receive From to VX49 USB PORT 1
Send To to VX49 USB PORT 1
- Press OK.
Select Setup > MIDI > MIDI Beat Clock.
- In the window that opens, check the box next to Enable MIDI Beat Clock for... Then also check the box next to the VX49 USB PORT 1 controller from the list.
Then hit OK.
You can obtain the included software for the Alesis VX49 by registering the product on the Alesis website. Here you can create your account, and then register your keyboard to have immediate access to your software downloads. The page will look like the picture shown below.
- Once the authorizer window is opens, you'll see an options allowing you choose to Activate, Try, or Quit. Choose Activate.
- To unlock the full version of your software, enter the Activation Code that was emailed to you from the Upgrade Email Notification Utility.
- You may be required to enter your e-mail and/or create or login to an iLok account. Please follow the on-screen steps as needed.
Note: Your software utilizes PACE/iLok security measures to assist with anti-piracy. While a physical iLok is not necessary to use the plugin, the creation of an iLok account is required for activation.
- Finally, choose to store your new license on your computer or your iLok and the activation is complete.
- Once you have your project open, go to Track > New.
- Change your Track type to Instrument Track.
- Make sure your Instrument track is ARMED, by select the red button.
- If you do not see Inserts A-E, click on the icon on the top left corner and check Inserts A-E.
- Once Insets A-E are available, select at an empty slot, then choose plug-in > Instrument > VIP.
- Now you are ready to use Pro Tools with your VX49.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.