With the Alesis VX49 USB/MIDI controller keyboard, you can load up your favorite VST software synthesizers, samplers and drum machines as if you were working on a standalone keyboard workstation. The included VIP software scans your instrument plug-ins, indexes all of their presets, maps out the controls, and allows you to switch sounds and tweak parameters on the fly, without ever touching your mouse. This article walks through how to setup the Alesis VX49 with Reaper.
- VX49 Hardware Setup
- Reaper Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Adjusting the Reaper Plugin Sources
- Further Technical Support
- Connect the VX49 to your computer using a USB cable.
Note: VX49 does have driver software in order for the midi controller work with the VIP software. please make sure the driver is installed.
- Press the Main Button and use the data dial to scroll to Reaper. Press the PUSH TO ENTER knob.
- On the VX49 itself, on page 3 of the GLOBAL menu (SHIFT + BROWSER), set the Clock Source setting to External. This will set the VX49 to wait for Reaper MIDI Clock signal and synchronize the timing of the arpeggiator/NoteRepeat.
- While in the GLOBAL menu, go to page 1 and change the Transport Format to MCC. This will help for the next section about MIDI mappnig controls.
- Save the Changes in page 4 of the GLOBAL menu. Now your VX49 is ready to control Reaper.
- Open Reaper.
Select Options > Preferences.
- In Reaper Preferences, with the VX49 connected, select MIDI Device in the Audio submenu in the left hand column. Mirror the settings found in the following image by right click and select Enable input + Enable input for control messages for VX49 USB PORT 1 in the Input section. Right click and select Enable output for VX49 USB PORT 1 in the Output section.
- Then hit OK.
You can obtain the included software for the Alesis VX49 by registering the product on the Alesis website. Here you can create your account, and then register your keyboard to have immediate access to your software downloads. The page will look like the picture shown below.
- Once the authorizer window is opens, you'll see an options allowing you choose to Activate, Try, or Quit. Choose Activate.
- To unlock the full version of your software, enter the Activation Code that was emailed to you from the Upgrade Email Notification Utility.
- You may be required to enter your e-mail and/or create or login to an iLok account. Please follow the on-screen steps as needed.
Note: Your software utilizes PACE/iLok security measures to assist with anti-piracy. While a physical iLok is not necessary to use the plugin, the creation of an iLok account is required for activation.
- Finally, choose to store your new license on your computer or your iLok and the activation is complete.
Using vst and vst intruments in software varies. The main thing to remember is the path where you saved your plugins. we suggest saving all your plugins in the same folder, maybe adding sub-folders for different categories.
VIP Software Default Installation Locations:
32-bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\VstPlugins\
64-bit: C:\Program Files\vstplugins
(AU): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > Components
(VST): Macintosh HD > Library > Audio > Plugins > VST
- Select Options >Preferences.
- Set Reaper to look in the default location of your plugin folder. You will see the option to set each path under “Plugins” to a specific folder.
- Go to Track > Insert Virtual instrument on new track.
- In the new instrument track, then select FX to choose the plug- in.
- In the FX window, Select FX then ADD. Now you can go through your plug in folders and select either Dx Vst Instruments etc.
- Select the VST: VIP
- Now you are ready to use Reaper with your VX49.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own a Alesis product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the experienced Alesis technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.