In some cases when connecting a sustain pedal to a keyboard, the pedal may act as though it is reversed. The sound will sustain when the pedal is in the open position and will stop sustaining when the pedal is pressed. The M-Audio SP-2 professional piano style pedal ships with a polarity switch built directly into the bottom of the pedal for an easy and fast fix for these type of symptoms.
This article walks through the typical causes of a pedal sustaining when in the open position, as well as the easy fix for the M-Audio SP-2 and how to adjust the polarity for most other sustain pedals on the market today.
M-Audio SP-2 Polarity Switch
The M-Audio SP-2 professional piano style pedal comes with a polarity switch built directly into the bottom of the pedal. If you experience the symptoms described below, simply lift the SP-2 pedal and change the Polarity Switch from one side to the other. The pedal will instantaneously function as expected!
- The pedal sustains when in the open position and stops sustaining when pressed.
- Any parameters or buttons that the pedal is mapped to also act in an inverse manner.
- The keyboard or the sustain pedal polarity is set incorrectly.
There are a number of ways to resolve these symptoms.
- Most pedals (such as the SP-2) have a physical switch to reverse the polarity.
- Some keyboards automatically detect the ploarity of a connected pedal and adjust accordingly.
Disconnect the pedal, power off your keyboard. Power your keyboard back on, allowing it to fully power up. Then, reconnect the sustain pedal to the keyboard.
- Those keyboards that do not auto-sense pedal polarity will often have a setting that can be adjusted in the keyboard itself. Review the documentation of your specific keyboard to determine the steps to reverse the polarity.
If you have trouble with the M-Audio SP-2 and the polarity does not reverse when adjusting the switch on the bottom of the pedal, please contact M-Audio Technical Support for further assistance.
Further Technical Support
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an M-Audio product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the M-Audio technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.