The M-Audio Oxygen 25 (MKIV), Oxygen 49 (MKIV), and Oxygen 61 (MKIV) are professional pad and keyboard controllers designed for hands-on software control, sequencing, and performance. Included with every Oxygen Series keyboard is a software bundle that includes Ableton Live 9 Lite and SONiVOX Twist Spectral Morphing Synthesizer. This guide walks through setting up the Oxygen (MKIV) Series to take control of this powerful software.
- Installing Ableton, Twist, and Xpand!2
- Ableton Live 9 Lite Software Setup
- Virtual Instruments and Plugins
- Additional Resources
- Further Product Support
Before getting started, make sure to follow our guide below for a full walkthrough on installing the included software. All software will need to be installed before continuing with this guide.
- Open Ableton Live 9 Lite.
- Navigate to the Preferences menu by making the following selections -
Select Live > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Command + comma]
Select Options > Preferences
or use the key command shortcut - [Control + comma]
- Click on the MIDI Sync tab.
- Under Control Surface select Oxygen 4th Gen. Select Oxygen 25/49/61 as the Input.
- Under MIDI Ports locate the Input for Oxygen 4th Gen. Turn on Track and Remote.
- Exit the Preferences menu.
The transport controls, knobs, and faders of the Oxygen will now be mapped out to Ableton when the AUTO button on the keyboard is pressed.
- Click on Instruments under the Categories column.
- Select an instrument from the column on the right and drag it onto an empty MIDI track in your main Ableton window.
The once empty MIDI track will now be an active instrument track and should read your key presses from the Oxygen (MKIV) Series keyboard.
Most DAWS will not load your VST plugins automatically. In order to access 3rd party VST plugins, like SONiVOX Twist and AIR Xpand!2, you will need to choose a plugin folder for the software to scan. For the purposes of this article, we will be focusing on the included SONiVOX Twist.
As discussed in the previous article, SONiVOX Twist will install by default to Program Files (x86) > VSTPlugins for Windows users and a default location for Mac. You are also free to set your own location. This location will be set as your plugin folder in Ableton. Refer to the article below if you have questions about the plugin location before continuing.
To set your plugin folder in Ableton -
- Go to the Preferences menu.
- Select the File Folder tab.
- Under Plugin-In Sources click Browse and select the appropriate plugin folder.
After making your selection, the Use VST Custom Plug-In Folder button should now be ON.
For Mac users, simply turn on Use VST Plug-In System Folder to scan your plugins.
- Exit the Preferences menu.
Now that the plugin folder is set, SONiVOX Twist can be inserted as an instrument track.
- Click on Plug-Ins under the Categories column.
- SONiVOX Twist should now be available to select from the column to the right. Just like with Ableton's built in instruments, you can drag Twist to an empty MIDI track.
The once empty MIDI track will now be a Twist instrument track and should read your key presses from the Oxygen (MKIV) Series keyboard.
- M-Audio Oxygen (MKIV) Series - Frequently Asked Questions
- M-Audio Oxygen (MKIV) Series - Downloading, Installing, and Authorizing the Included Software
- M-Audio Oxygen (MKIV) Series - Setup in Pro Tools
- M-Audio Oxygen (MKIV) Series - Directlink Setup for Cubase 6,7, & 8
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an M-Audio product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the M-Audio technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.