Serato's Flip expansion pack (sold separately) is a great tool for those using Serato DJ 1.7 and later. With Serato Flip, you can record and play back triggered cue point information at any time during your set. Flip mode allows the ability to edit tracks, extend intros and outros, breakdowns, transitions, and even make beats. This article walks through how to use this feature with the Numark NV.
- Serato Flip Features
- Before You Begin...
- Recording the Flip
- Saving Flip Banks/Pads
- Additional Resources
- Further Technical Support
Saving a Flip:
- Save up to 6 different Flips per track
- Serato Flip information is saved to your tracks metadata
- Rename your Flip just like a cue point
- When you delete cue points in a song, your Flip information will still be remembered
Utilizing Looping / Loop Snap:
- Looping: A Flip can loop back once or continuously.
- Loop Snap: A looped Flip will snap to an end-point on beat with your current track. You should utilize SYNC with this feature.
Controlling Flip with your Hardware and a MIDI Controller:
- Control the Flip directly from your hardware.
- The Flip controls are also MIDI mappable for use with a supported MIDI controller of your choice.
Utilizing Recall and Replay:
- Toggle the Flip ON / OFF
- Starts a Flip when loading a track or whenever you like
First, Serato Flip is offered as a paid expansion pack for Serato DJ, and is available for purchase here.
Next, ensure that each track you wish to use for Flip is fully analyzed and set to the beat grid. Fore more information on Preparing and Analyzing Your Files, click here. Also, set the cue points for the song that you wish to record the Flip with before recording the Flip. Once the cue points are set, follow the steps suggested below.
- First you will want to show the Flip Panel in Serato DJ. To do this, click the Flip tab at the top of the Serato DJ window. To initiate Flip recording process, press the < PARAMETER adjustment on the deck of choice as shown in the image below. The record button will begin to blink, indicating it's ready to record.
- Trigger your first cue point. That will trigger your recording process. You'll notice in the software that the deck that you are recording the Flip with is outlined in red.
- Once the Flip is complete, press the < PARAMETER adjustment to stop the recording. The deck with the recorded Flip with is now outlined in blue. This means that Serato is playing back the recorded Flip. Also, the ON and LOOP buttons are illuminated as the Flip is playing back.
- You can now save or re-record the Flip. To save, select one of the six available banks from the Serato Flip Expansion window and choose Save. You'll notice in the second image below that the Flip was saved in the fourth bank and renamed SAVED FLIP. Also, you can save your Flip form the hardware without touching the computer. See how here.
- To exit out of your recorded Flip, press the < PARAMETER adjustment twice.
- To play back a saved Flip, highlight the Flip in Flip Expansion window and then press the right > PARAMETER adjustment. To exit out of the selected bank, simply press SHIFT + > PARAMETER adjustment.
To access the Flip Mode Pad Bank, hold SHIFT + press the CUES bank button. In this mode you can store and recall up to 6 saved flips.
- Yellow Color: The saved Flip is stored and ready to play. You can activate the saved Flip by pressing the pad.
- Blue Color: A saved Flip is activated and playing back. By pressing a yellow pad and activating a Flip, the pad will change to blue.
- Clear (not illuminated): Indicates an empty pad bank that can be used to store a future Flip.
- Red Color:
- Top Right Red Pad = Hold this pad and press a saved Flip pad to cycle on and off Loop mode for that Flip.
- Bottom Right Red Pad = Turns on and off Loop Snap mode.
Whether you are a customer or dealer, if you already own an Numark product, or if you just have pre-sales questions, the Numark technical support team is available to help!
Visit the link below to connect with any of the following support options: online community support, phone support, email support.